Taco Tuesday will never be the same! Seriously though, who knew a vegetable in-the-raw could be used as a taco shell? Not I! *Insert mind blown emoji here* Jicama is the best thing to happen to low-carb tacos EVER. If you haven’t seen one, the jicama is a round, tuberous root vegetable, also referred to as the Mexican turnip. When peeled and thinly sliced, it serves as the perfect flexible yet crunchy vessel for all you taco fixin’s.
Let me tell ya… thinly slicing the jicama was a PITA (pain-in-the-ass) at first. Seriously. I kept thinking to myself how on earth am I supposed to slice this wide thing in my narrow little mandoline slicer? So, the logical thing to do was to spend my hard-earned doll hairs on amazon, of course, to purchase a wider mandoline! This one in particular – an OXO version you can purchase here.
As I got closer to the wider parts of the jicama it did get a little too wide for this handy device, so I simply used a vegetable peeler to trim down the diameter. It really was easy peasy after that!
I decided to fill these bad boys with blackened shrimp, a 4-ingredient slaw, and crumbled feta for my easy-on-the-waistline Taco Tuesday!
You’ll go loco for these low-calorie, low-carbohydrate, high-protein, and gluten/grain-free tacos. Only 250 calories for FIVE! WOWEEEE!Print
Taco Tuesday will never be the same. You’ll go loco for these low-calorie, low-carbohydrate, high-protein, and gluten/grain-free tacos @ only 250 calories per 5!
- 1 jicama (~4.5-5 inches in diameter)
- 3 cups broccoli slaw mix
- 1/3 cup plain, nonfat or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 Tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 pound small raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 Tbsp blackened seasoning
- 2 oz. crumbled, reduced-fat feta
- Peel entire jicama. Using a wide mandoline slicer, slice jicama into round, paper thin slices (I used the “1” setting on my large OXO mandoline). You’ll need about 10 to 12 good slices. Soak slices in cold water for 30 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels.
- While slices are soaking, prepare fillings. Combine broccoli slaw mix, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and sriracha.
- Place shrimp and seasoning in a large, resealable plastic bag. Shake to coat shrimp evenly. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp until no longer pink, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- To assemble tacos: Fill each jicama “shell” with slaw, shrimp, and a sprinkle of feta, and serve immediately!
- Serving Size: 5 tacos
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Protein: 28 g